1. Go to the Google Android Things website by clicking here. Go to the CONSOLE section.
2. Sign in with your Google ID in the following page.
3. Select CREATE A PRODUCT. Type the Product Name. Select SOM as Raspberry Pi 3 (SOM = System On Module). Give a Product Description.
4. Hit CREATE. It will show your basic settings as shown below. Click on "Create Starter Build" as pointed in following screen:
5. In the following page, click Next (as shown below in red) as Empty Build is Selected:
6. Always select latest OS build (if there are more than one) from the given list and click NEXT:
7. Give a meaningful name to your build config as below:
8. Click the CREATE BUILD. It creates a new field Build configuration list.
9. Click the Download and wait
10. Zip file will be downloaded like this:
11. Unzip/extract the zip using any zip extractor. It will take few mins to extract.
After the extraction, you will get .img file (a.k.a OS image file).
12. Now, Insert SD card in your system via SD Card Reader/Writer. If your SD card is not formatted as FAT-32, you will need to do this now. Right click on your SD card in MyComputer. Select Format.. -> File system FAT32. Click Start
13. Download Win32DiskImager utility form this link Click Here. After installing Win32DiskImager, launch this application. Once Win32DiskImager is launched, select image file and target drive. Click Write:
After finishing, take out the SD card from computer.
14. Insert your SD Card into SD card slot of your Raspberry PI.
15. Next, connect your Raspberry Pi to your display via the HDMI cable, to your network with an ethernet cable, and to a power source (such as power supply) with the micro USB type-B cable. Note: If you dont have HDMI display or HDMI Cable you can skip following steps in this tutorial. We can survive without any Display. ;)
16. When your Raspberry Pi has booted, you should see the following on your display.
17. If you don't have hdmi display, you can directly move to next tutorial. Now you will see General overview screen on your hdmi display like this:
18. Move further if you have any time of input device like hdmi touch screen or usb keyboard and mouse. If you want to connect it to wifi, then click on networks setting icon directly or from menu. You will get screen like following:
19. Click on Wifi and switch the toggle button to 'ON' state. You will be served with a list of available wifi networks. Click on your wifi and enter password and hit "Connect" like following:
Now you are connected with wifi, so you can remove your LAN cable from raspberry pi. Finally, You are ready for development on Android Things.